Lakeridge Building Construction + Improvements

Vega Baker, Staff Reporter

Lakeridge High has new plans for upgrading the school over summer, which will improve the safety and functioning of the building. Lakeridge is getting a new roof on the gym building, as well as over the art wing in the main building. The gym is also getting seismic upgrades, and there will be a new phone system and WiFi cables.

The construction is being funded by the bond passed in 2016 The bond projects for next summer include a greenhouse, outside classroom space and an upgraded Foods room, as explained from the annual report on the LOSD’s website. 

Lakeridge principal Desiree Fisher said how it “will be a direct improvement in the experience and the classes our students will have here at Lakeridge,” said Principal Desiree Fisher. Those future projects will be done next summer as part of the same bond portfolio of projects.

“Safety is always a benefit for students. Leaking roofs cause more damage to the building in the long term if not fixed so getting those roofing projects done is going to help for sure.” Fisher said. 

The projects this year are supposed to be completed on Aug. 24. If that ends up changing, the plan will be to conduct registration mostly online with the LHS  webstore and Synergy starting in August. Lakeridge will have a day for 10th-11th graders to come in the building for books and parking permits on Friday, Aug. 27 and then the freshmen will do their books and other registration tasks the first day of school for them on Aug. 30.

“This school year where everything has been remote has helped us refine some of these business processes and made them much more user friendly for students to access and pay online as well as connect with counselors for meetings and scheduling needs.” Fisher said. The registration process isn’t planned to be affected by the construction, as they’ve revamped the process to be shorter and much more student-friendly.

Looking at the construction this year, there’s not seen to be dramatic changes, at least those of which will affect students in school. Although, the projects for next summer will have a bigger and positive impact on students and teachers. There have also been updates of LOSD partnering with the Parks and Recreation department for a pool project, which will be beneficial to athletes in the water.