The Coronavirus Pandemic Has Let Earth Come Back to Life

Photo by Kemper Flood

Mia Flood, Staff Reporter

Amid grounded airplanes, closed doors and parked cars, our sick planet begins to heal. The global lockdown has not only helped lessen the curve of illness and deaths due to the Covid-19 pandemic, but positively impacted the future of our environment.

The large drop in economic activity and the restriction of business and travel has led to a dramatic reduction in the use of fossil fuels and the release of carbon emissions.

“I have personally noticed that myself and others around me have been driving less and I have been able to see more stars lately without the air pollution” said LHS sophomore, Chanelle Buck.

Outside of the local lockdown, globally, many areas have seen a difference as well.

“Major cities that suffer from the world’s worst air pollution have seen reductions of deadly particulate matter by up to 60% from the previous year, during a three-week lockdowns period” according to an article by CNN.

Due to public health restrictions enforced to control the spread of Covid-19, a global decrease in pollution has occurred across Asia, Europe, and the US and carbon emissions from the burning of fossil fuels have had a record 5% annual drop as stated in an article by The Guardian.

This reduction in pollution has quite literally changed the way people see the world.

In India, the people of the northern Indian state of Punjab can now see the Himalayan Mountain range that had been hidden for decades.

It is “…now visible from more than 100 miles away due to the reduction in air pollution caused by the country’s coronavirus lockdown” stated in an article by CNN.

With the shutdown of Italy on March 10, the Canals of Venice have become much clearer due to the lack of tourists and have allowed for the return of aquatic life. Jellyfish, among other small fish, are now visible in the canals.

The LA Times reported that deer, coyotes, and other animals have been seen roaming parts of Yosemite National Park that would normally be filled with tourists but are empty due to the lockdown.

After a decline in carbon emissions and air pollution, major cities in China saw their first blue sky in several years.

Although the Coronavirus pandemic will forever be a detrimatic and historical event in human history, climate change still remains an ominous threat to our future.

“As the United Nations’ secretary general recently noted, the threat from coronavirus is temporary whereas the threat from heat waves, floods and extreme storms resulting in the loss of human life will remain with us for years” according to a New York Times article.

The impact of the Covid-19 pandemic on the environment brings to light the toll our way of life has on the planet, some may wonder if we were the virus all along.