LHS career fair for the first time

Kenzie Hudler, Editor-in-Chief

LHS will be having their first Joint Career Fair with LOHS on April 27 in the LHS Cafeteria from 6:30-8 p.m.

While the LOSD curriculum emphasizes academics and ways to get to college, finding a career that interests each student has been less touched on in years past.

“We want to focus more on the career piece as a school,” said Paula Emery, LHS Counselor.

This year, Joanne Bittner, LHS Transitions Specialist, and the LHS counseling staff have worked hard to put together this hopefully beneficial and fun event.

There will be approximately 54 booths, with presentations from many companies, both global and local. Global companies in attendance will include Nike, Microsoft, Tesla and Adidas. These companies will be particularly focused on informing our students of what different careers will look like and entail at each company, as each atmosphere of business is unique in its own way.

In addition, there will be break-out sessions for students interested in more specific career paths, such as sports marketing, which will be a separate session run by Vice Presidents of companies such as Nike and Adidas.

On the other hand, local companies such as Nicoletta’s Table, Oregon Golf Club, Ace Hardware and Timberline Lodge will be in attendance to offer both summer job and job shadow opportunities. There will also be many organizations with booths focusing on volunteer opportunities within the Lake Oswego community, such as the Lake Oswego Library, Booktique and the Lakewood Center.

Lastly, local colleges such as Portland Community College and Clackamas Community College will be attending to inform students of the various career programs they offer as well.

With so many companies, colleges and organizations in attendance, the LHS/LOHS Career Fair looks like it’s shaping up to be a helpful event for both students interested in a specific career path and those that have little to no idea what they would like to do career-wise.

“This will be the first time LHS is hosting this event, so we hope for a good turn out to make this a yearly event,” said Emery.