Bottle Flipping: The Newest Craze

Aidan Strealy, Cub Reporter

Bottles flipped on tables, bottles flipped on floors, and bottles flipped on light fixtures. Bottle flipping in general is the new big thing. Something seemingly easy but hard in reality has taken the public by storm. Kids everywhere have been enjoying this simple challenge.

Kids across the United States have been participating in this new activity, and half filled bottles lying in bizarre locations are becoming a common sight to people everywhere. From park benches to street curbs, playgrounds to school grounds, anywhere children go, their bottles now follow.

The reason for its sudden rise in popularity was, like many new fads, thanks to social media. A North Carolina senior named Mike Senatore participated in his school’s talent show, and for his act, he performed the bottle flip. In the original video, he swaggered up to the table, dramatic music marking his approach, stopped, successfully flipped the bottle, and walked off, with his entire school in an uproar from his performance.

The video quickly spread throughout the internet, gaining so much popularity that Twitter eventually made it into a “moment”. Soon, kids who watched the video began to flip bottles on their own, as it was easy to get ahold of a plastic bottle, if not as easy to flip it. Even kids who have no access to the internet are hearing about this game, usually from the ones who do.

A bottle flipper in the fourth grade was asked how she learned about the game, and she said that the reason she started doing it was that “Other kids were doing it, and it looked fun.”

The difficulty with flipping bottles is that they’re only filled halfway, meaning that if flipped wrong, the water inside will fly to the top of the bottle, making it near-impossible to land it. Different amounts of water mean different weights, allowing the game to go on for a much longer amount of time.  

Freshman Trevor Peterson, said that what he finds fun about the activity is “when you do challenges with friends in cool places.”

The game has evolved from simply flipping the bottle, flipping on various flat surfaces has become a part of it as well.

And this activity is not limited to a specific age group either. Kids at elementary schools flip bottles, kids at middle schools flip bottles, and even high schoolers do too, as seen in the original video. What captivates kids about bottle flipping is that it is so easy to do. You don’t have to have access to major resources, or have a certain athletic ability, all you need to be able to do is toss a water bottle up in the air. The thrill of bottle flipping has captured the attention of students everywhere, and there’s no telling just how long it will take for this fad to pass.